Wednesday, September 4, 2019

In the Eye of the Storm

     Today I was thinking about firsts. That feeling you get when you are doing things for the first time. It's exhilarating. Do you remember the first time you got behind the steering wheel of a car? Or the first time you stood before an audience. Okay, so that might not have been as exhilarating as terrifying but...doing something for the first time always comes with a few heart palpitations.

     The news of hurricane Dorian triggered the thought of a first I had several years ago. I watched in horror as the video feeds poured in from the Bahamas as the hurricane approached. Now my heart is aching after seeing just how devastating the storm was.

     You see, the Bahamas was a first for me.

It was the first time for me to venture out of the US. Yes, I know it wasn't much of a stretch but the whole idea of needing a passport to go to this place just felt special. It was a brand new adventure. The only other time I had stepped across the border was walking over to Juarez Mexico from Texas for a day trip. No passport needed. No, this trip meant something far greater.

     Even though I had taken trips to the beach before, when we arrived, it felt like I had stepped into another world. The beach was pristine. The water was a deep blue. Conk shells littered the water's edge and there were starfish in every color of the rainbow. Our hotel had this airy feel to it. We walked through the bar area which was open on two sides. The backside of the bar opened to a large pool with a deck and past that was this beach. It looked like something from a postcard.










I remember so much about that trip. They had a grand dining hall with tons of fresh fruit including Papaya. That was also a first. It was my favorite. The flesh of the fruit was similar to a peach and just as juicy and sweet. I have tried it several times since and I can't find anything that comes close to what I had there.





   



We snorkeled one day. Because it was the end of February we had to wear wet suits. Again, another first for me. I can remember seeing all the fish that you would normally see at the aquarium. The water was crystal clear.
 

     One day we ventured outside of the resort and ate at one of the local restaurants. It was the first time I had ever eaten fried conk. Let me stop right here. I had no idea really what a conk was until this trip. But, evidently, they are a staple as far as meals are concerned. I honestly, wasn't too impressed. They were a little chewy. 
     Another first during the trip was driving on the wrong side of the road. Well, technically I was riding but let me tell you, it feels really weird.
 But, during our exploration of the area we found remnants of a US missile base and, 
A lighthouse.






We also made a stop at a really pretty cavern. 













     As I watched the news this week, I realized that most of the places I saw on our trip, are probably gone now. I can't be sure, but it broke my heart to see the video of the devastation. The thought kept rolling through my mind, I was there. I know that place. It was so beautiful.
                                                    My heart goes out to those who live there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know what they say about ASSUMING

 It's been a hot minute since I wrote something in my blog. I've been off in my fictional la la land where I can escape the worries ...