Wednesday, May 1, 2019

That one song

 
     Passion. When I started this blog, I wanted it to reflect the things I was passionate about, but what exactly does that mean? What is passion? To me, passion is when something or someone spurs an innate spark inside that far exceeds any normal feeling of love. Its something familiar, something ingrained. You can be taught to draw but there are some who have something inside them that spur them to pick up a brush without one lesson and blend colors. You can be taught to cook but for some there is a desire to bring flavors together that create a tasty masterpiece.

     One of the things I have been passionate about my entire life is music. I have this connection to music on a very personal level that is hard to explain. Whether it's Rock, Country, Pop, Christian, Blues, or any other genre, there is something about music that moves me. Some songs I connect with the lyrics, some with the melodies, some with the rhythm and some with the arrangements.  The 70's band KANSAS is one of my all time favorite bands. Their harmonies are phenomenal. Their lyrics are amazing and their music is mind blowing. Music speaks to me. It always has.
   
     My dad was a musician, so I am sure that has something to do with it. Every child wants to have some kind of special connection with their parents. Music was mine with him. He played guitar, drums, bass, piano, trumpet and probably other instruments I didn't know about, and he could sing. I can remember, when I was very young, going to some of his gigs. I was always enamored with his ability. Whether it was that or some deeper genetic ingrained instinct, I was passionate about music.
   
     At around five, I started singing in front of crowds. By eight I was playing the piano. I found I could hear a song and play it without the music in front of me. At twelve I got into the band playing trumpet and at fourteen I got my first guitar, and at fourteen I lost my dad. His death, in a way, put a fire in me that has effected me to this day. After learning how to play the guitar, I started writing songs. Like most fourteen year old girls, most of my songs were about boys.
   
     As I was looking through some old stuff the other day, I found my book of songs. It was a crazy blast from the past. Suddenly I was drawn back to my fourteen year old self. I remembered sitting on stage performing some of my songs. I was petrified to be in front of people performing but the feeling of creating the music, telling the story, releasing that pent up urge was freeing.
   
     My question to you is, what are you passionate about?


1 comment:

You know what they say about ASSUMING

 It's been a hot minute since I wrote something in my blog. I've been off in my fictional la la land where I can escape the worries ...