Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Better Living through Chemistry

Funny things happen as you get older. Words become smaller, you make weird noises when you go to stand up weird splotches show up on your skin...etc. I have to admit, I'm not as young as I used to be. My brain wants to believe I am though. In a way, I kind of like this age. When I was younger, I wasn't very adventurous. As I've gotten older, I either have built up some courage or gotten dumber, but either way, I have definitely accepted more riskier challenges.
     What caused this change of attitude? Several years ago I started having some health issues. I went to the doctor who gave me some medicine for my symptoms and sent me on my way. The symptoms were better but not gone and it made me wonder. There are so many medicines out there for the symptoms but what about really taking care of the core problem. I set out to find a doctor that focused on taking care of the problem instead of taking care of the symptoms. My findings were very interesting.
     We have long heard, in order to be healthy, doctors want you to eat right and get some exercise. Well most of us don't know how to eat right now days. We are so busy and there are so many different fast food chains on every corner we choose convenience over healthy just about every time. That, along with the way crops are grown now, it's actually hard, even if you try eating healthy to actually get the nutrients you need on a daily basis.
     The food we eat now is just not as nutritious as it used to be. Crops aren't rotated to let the soil replenish the vitamins and therefore what we eat just doesn't give our bodies the vitamins and minerals they need to stay healthy. So what happens? We get sick.
     Seventy percent of people in America are on some form of prescription medication right now. That is astounding! I was one of them. I used to take a handful of medication every day for anything from allergies to stomach pills to cholesterol. There is a high percentage of Americans taking statin medications for cholesterol. Along with that, a high percentage of Americans taking medication to balance their blood sugar. A third high percentage of Americans take medications for anxiety or depression.
     What I found out is some of the issues might be caused by a lack of nutrition. Our bodies need the nutrients or they start to break down. Do I still take a handful of pills? Yes. But now I take supplements. After changing my diet and adding supplements, I started to feel better, and when I mean better, I mean than I had felt in YEARS. I started exercising at the gym and building my body up to the point I wanted to try new things. No matter what your age, you can still exercise, lift weights and get out and have fun.
 
So what are some of the nutrients people might need to add to their diets? 
 
1. Omega 3 fatty acids- help lower cholesterol, improves brain function, lowers inflammation. Found in oily fish like Tuna
2. Vitamin D- helps strengthen bones but also may help balance blood sugar, help with lung function, balance moods and promote sleep. It's commonly found in milk
3. Get your Bs-  B12 and B6-A deficiency in B vitamins can cause Anemia along with depression, memory loss, instability, muscle weakness, numbness and tingling in your extremities and stomach issues. Green leafy vegetables and whole grains and nuts are great sources for this vitamin.
4. Along with your B vitamins Niacin is a common nutrient that is deficient in the body. Niacin is Vitamin B3 and it is huge in heart health. If someone is battling with cholesterol issues, they may be Niacin deficient. Niacin not only helps lower the LDL but raise the HDL. It also can help protect your skin, aids in digestion and also helps with muscle weakness or pain. Another major benefit to Niacin is it helps with anxiety and depression. Foods high in Niacin are Poultry and pork, peanuts and Avocados. 
5. Magnesium-has been found to aid in the lowing of the A1c level for those with Type II diabetes. It also has been shown to lower blood pressure, help prevent migraines, has anti-inflammatory benefits, reduces depression and reduces PMS symptoms. It can be found in green leafy vegetables, meat proteins and nuts. 
Ultimately it is a great idea to increase your intake of green leafy vegetables (spinach, kale, and other greens,), nuts, berries, avocados and lean protein and fish and decrease the processed foods and sugars but again, although eating healthier will increase the nutrients you may still need added supplements.
BUT 
Before you dump out your prescriptions and head off to your local GNC to hop on the healthy bandwagon, get a blood test. It's easy enough to find out what supplements you might need just by getting a simple blood test. Also, research the different supplement brands to make sure they are high quality. There are plenty out there that aren't worth the cotton that is stuffed inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know what they say about ASSUMING

 It's been a hot minute since I wrote something in my blog. I've been off in my fictional la la land where I can escape the worries ...