Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Home Sweet Home

     I don't know about you, but for me there is just something about going home that is comforting. But, the question is, where is home exactly? I've lived in my current home for just about 23 years. I call it home, but something about the place where I was raised has always brought a warm feeling to my heart and it will always be HOME. My childhood memories lie there.

     I was born and raised in Georgetown, Texas. Yes, I am a Texas girl. Although I don't live in Texas anymore, I will always and forever be, a Texas girl. Georgetown is about thirty miles north of Austin. Growing up, it was an eclectic mash of the hippies of Austin and the down home goodness of the cowboys and farmers. It wasn't quite either, but to me, it was that mix that gave it it's perfect charm.
     It was the county seat of Williamson County and the courthouse sat dead center in the town.
     The downtown was filled with old historic building that made up the square around the courthouse with a sign that designated where the Chisholm Trail passed through. During the summer there was a parade that traveled through the square to signify the start of Rodeo week. I don't think they host rodeos anymore but there is still a parade of sorts.


    Of course, Georgetown has changed some since I lived there. When I was growing up in Georgetown, we could ride our bikes everywhere. It definitely had a small town atmosphere. Now days, it is a bustling little city. It has officially become one of the bedroom communities of Austin and is a favorite place to live for the over 55 group. 

     But for all that has changed, there is quite a bit that hasn't. Georgetown is home to San Gabriel Park and Blue Hole. The San Gabriel River cuts a path through Georgetown and provides picturesque scenery but also great swimming and fishing locations.

 I can remember playing underneath the falls and swinging off the rope swing at the park and jumping from the cliffs at Blue Hole. That still happens and now there are trails around the river for the running enthusiast or just to walk your dog.
     If you aren't really into the water sports, there are other things that are fun to do in Georgetown. The Palace Theater used to be where we would go see the latest movie releases. Now it is home to some great off Broadway shows.

Georgetown is also where you will find one of the best Caverns around. Inner Space is a living cavern, it's formations are still growing!

      There is also something they call Second Saturday. On the second Saturday of the month around the square vendors come out... well... to sell their goods. You never know what you will discover at Second Saturday, but trust me there is something there that you have always wanted.  There might even be some live music.
   
     But some of the best memories I have of Georgetown was at Christmas time. Through downtown and some of the main streets, there would be decorations of garland with twinkly lights draped across the road. It was breathtaking. But no words could describe how pretty the downtown was this past Christmas. There is something about old buildings lit up with the twinkly lights that put you in the Christmas mood.

   
                                             This is the place I LOVE to call HOME.



No comments:

Post a Comment

You know what they say about ASSUMING

 It's been a hot minute since I wrote something in my blog. I've been off in my fictional la la land where I can escape the worries ...