Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Never Too Old

     I am a grandma. Nina to be exact. That means I am of an older generation. Born in the era of flower power, hippies, American Bandstand, landing on the moon... you get it. It occurred to me a while back that it seems the majority of people past the age of say 50, think with aging, everything naturally falls apart. Although, to some degree your body does naturally change, there are still steps you can take to slow down the process and be healthy longer.

     One of my passions is health. I am not in the medical profession, don't get me wrong, my passion developed from my own health crisis several years ago. I try to eat healthy, supply my body with the nutrients it needs, get plenty of rest and water and I exercise. Many people think that after a certain age, exercising is out of the question. Many gain weight and think because bones are getting brittle and injuries are much more probable it is too dangerous to exercise, but that is wrong. Exercising as you get older helps strengthen the muscles and bones and actually helps give you better balance. Proper exercise and nutrition gives you better circulation, stronger bones and muscles including your heart, which makes it less likely for injuries. Now you can't just hop up one day and go out for a jog but sitting down with your doctor and mapping out a plan that fits you is a great idea.

     As you get older, your body chemistry changes. Hormones decrease, which in turn throws your chemical balance off. I firmly believe that regaining that chemical balance slows down the aging process.
That is done through healthier eating, supplements, exercise and sometimes hormone replacement therapy. The hormone replacement therapy may not be for everyone, but for me it definitely was a factor in regaining my health. What I'm getting at is, you don't have to just give up when you hit 50.

   











 I am a weightlifter. (That's not me in the photo of course)
I enjoy going into the gym, going through my weight training routine on the equipment and feeling stronger when I leave, but there are tons of other exercises you can do and you might be surprised at the results.







     If you are worried about not knowing how to use the equipment, most gyms have personal trainers. They are a great source of information for getting started into an exercise program geared toward your abilities.


     If you are just starting out, you might start with just taking a walk. Increase the distance and speed regularly until you can walk for at least 20 minutes. Try to kick your heart rate up a notch.
   












 Or, if you have problems with joint pain, consider swimming. Water aerobics is a fantastic way to exercise. Trust me, it's harder than it looks but it really is fun.
   











     If you are a little afraid to put your head under water, then try your hand at yoga. Yoga is one of the fastest growing exercise programs in the US. It is great for your mind, body and spirit. Although it doesn't look like it would do much, it strengthens your core muscles, helps with balance and the stretching is great for the aging muscles.
If you want to take it up a notch, try a spin class, aerobic kickboxing or Crossfit. Just remember to check it out with your doctor first. There are tons of possibilities out there, and even if you have limitations, there is something for you. You just have to take that first step.

2 comments:

  1. Great blog post... Thank you for ALL you do and sharing your passions❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog post... Thank you for ALL you do and sharing your passions❤️

    ReplyDelete

You know what they say about ASSUMING

 It's been a hot minute since I wrote something in my blog. I've been off in my fictional la la land where I can escape the worries ...