Thursday, October 3, 2019

When the unexpected happens

     I have had many instances when I have been thrown into unexpected circumstances. I am not much of a planner but I have found there are times when you definitely want to be prepared.

     When my son was about three we went to a hotel. I don't remember what it was for actually, probably visiting family. My son was in the shallow end of the pool hanging onto the side. There were several adults watching but yet, in an instant, he was under the water. We pulled him out sputtering and spitting pool water. I was thankful things had turned out okay, but it got me thinking. I needed to know what to do in an emergency.

     I checked into some classes and signed up to take a Standard First Aid and Safety class through the Red Cross. https://www.redcross.org/take-a-class
   
     Many businesses request you take the class now. I think it's a smart idea. You really never know when you might need it.

     After taking the class, I chose to take it one step further and became a trainer. I did it both to instill the skills in me and guide others in learning the emergency procedures.

     One of the main skills they teach you in the class is what to do if someone's heart stops. Honestly, I never thought I would use it. I was wrong. A man collapsed in our grocery store and no one knew what to do. Do you? Once you learn the steps, it helps keep you on track when you are faced with an emergency.

     Here are a few simple steps when someone collapses or is found unconscious.

1. Check the scene. Make sure the scene is safe for you.
2. Tap the person and ask if they are okay loudly.
3. Call 911 or ask someone with you to call. If you are in a business check to see if they have an AED(If so follow the directions on the box.)
4. Lift the chin and tilt the head back to open the airway
5. Check for breathing. Listen for 10 seconds.(short gasps is not considered breathing) If you do not hear breathing or see the rise and fall of the chest you begin CPR
6. Find the bottom of the sternum or where the ribs divide, move up two finger spaces and place the heel of your hand. Interlace your fingers
Keep the bottom hand tilted where the heel of the hand touches but not the fingers.
7. Push hard and fast in the middle of the chest. Use your body weight to administer compression. This helps get the compressions deep and keeps your arms from wearing out so fast. The compressions need to be 2 inches deep and at a rate of 100 compressions per minute. Some say singing the song "Stayin Alive" helps give you a good rate.
8. Give at least 15 chest compressions before delivering 2 rescue breaths. Some studies now say give 30 compressions between breaths.
9. To give a rescue breath, tilt the persons head back and chin up, pinch the nose and seal your mouth over theirs exhaling into their mouth. If the chest doesn't rise and fall with your breath, reposition the head and try again. Give two breaths then resume CPR.
10. Only end the cycle if help arrives, if the scene becomes unsafe or you are too exhausted to continue.

The class also teaches techniques for infant and child CPR as well as other emergency situations. 
You never know when an unexpected emergency may occur. It's better to have the knowledge and not use it then to have an emergency and not know what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know what they say about ASSUMING

 It's been a hot minute since I wrote something in my blog. I've been off in my fictional la la land where I can escape the worries ...